Monday, December 10, 2007

Puppy Play Day

I've taken my dog, a black Labrador named Ajax (pronounced EYE-yaks, not A-jacks like the dish soap), to Walnut Creek Dog Park a few times in the past couple months and he loves it, of course. When my car takes the turn off of Lamar into a little winding street, his whining ensues. Immediately, he begins pacing back and forth from window to window in my backseat. Excited is not the word for it. More like bursting with animated spirit.

At first I was apprehensive about getting him around other dogs, especially without the restraint of a leash. He's very shy and is afraid of other dogs (puppies included). He's not too keen on other humans, either. But after our first trip to the park, I knew we'd finally found something that we both could get used to.

The scenery is reminiscent of my California days when we'd go hiking down to a little creek (minus the redwoods, of course). The enormous white boulders that dot the banks of the creek are perfect for owners to take a pit stop while their dogs run amok in the shallow water. It's a little strange that for as much as my dog despises bath time, he adores splashing around in the creek.

Foot trails wind around the park in numerous directions and are often so deep and twisting in the woods that other dogs and owners can't be seen. Occasionally the trails are shared with brave cyclists, who are always polite to curious dogs and nervous owners (like myself). I've tried to jog the trails alone, without my dog, but the sight of other canines running free in the park instantly makes me feel guilty and I'm forced to dash home to get him.

Despite the frigid weather today, I think Ajax might be in for a treat: a day at the dog park. I just hope he avoids the water today...

Who am I kidding?

No comments: