Sunday, December 9, 2007

Full-length Interview with Stuart Holden

Stuart Holden is a 22-year-old midfielder for the Houston Dynamo.

Stefanie: How did you get involved in soccer?

Stuart: I started playing soccer at a young age in Scotland with the influence of my mum and dad. I always loved kicking a ball around and as I got older my love for the sport became stronger. Growing up in a country where soccer is the main sport obviously helped me develop a strong passion for it.

Stefanie: Soccer is already popular in Austin, but there is not much coverage when in comes to MLS (as it unfortunately seems to be the case across the United States). How do you think that we can make MLS (and specifically, the teams in Texas) more popular in Austin?

Stuart: It is tough for the MLS to put a lot of money into advertising the MLS in cities that don't have teams, but TV exposure is the best way to grow the popularity. If people can turn on their TV's every saturday and watch their favorite MLS teams or the best games of the weekend, it will help turn more people (adults and children included) into bigger soccer fans and hence increase the demand for more soccer on TV.

Stefanie: Does playing in front of a home crowd for you personally (since you're from Houston) affect your play?

Stuart: For me to be able to play in Houston infront of friends, coaches, and most importantly my family is unbelievable. It gives me a special connection to the crowd and in a way I am a role model for young soccer players growing up in Houston with aspirations of playing professionally, which gives me a great deal of pride when I put on the Dynamo uniform. My first goal in my professional career was at home vs New England, and my whole family was there to experience it, which to me was more than I could have ever asked for.

Stefanie: When you're playing against teams with some of the "big names" of soccer, does it enter your mind at all that you're playing against guys you possibly grew up watching or can you just naturally block that out?

Stuart: Before the games, you know who you're going up against and you start to prepare yourself for that game, so obviously you know if you're going to be playing against some "big names" who are good players. But once you step on the field, all of that goes out the window. Even if at a younger age they were my role models or idols, we are playing in the same league now and are both professionals, so to put them on a pedestal during a game would only leave me at a disadvantage.

Stefanie: How effective do you think that MLS teams giving youth soccer camps in their respective cities (and possibly surrounding cities, such as Austin in this case) would be in raising awareness about MLS? What about doing another exhibition game (like the Dynamo did in Austin when Houston just got a team)- would that ever be in the works again?

Stuart: I think this is an initiative that MLS has already started to take, because players on our team partake in these events from time to time. This is one of the most effective ways of promoting the game, because young players get a chance to interact with their idols and learn the game from them. This helps develop a passion for soccer and therefor more interest in playing it at a higher level. As far as exhibition games and camps in surrounding cities such as Austin, this only helps spread the popularity and awareness for the Dynamo and the MLS. I personally loved playing in Austin, because it gives a chance for fans of the Dynamo to come and see us a little closer than a 3.5 hour drive!

Stefanie: I know the L.A. Galaxy runs a Fantasy Camp for adults that is widely popular among the fans. As a player, would participating in something like that (with fans) interest you at all? How active do you think the team would be in putting on something like this for fans?

Stuart: I have been involved with a couple soccer events similar to that put on by the Dynamo, including a Soccer 101 event for women that was extremely successful. I loved doing these sorts of things and interacting with people that want to learn more about soccer and that have a love for the Dynamo!

Stefanie: Who do you room with when you're on the road with the Dynamo? Any roommates at home in Houston?

Stuart: On the Road I room with Joseph Ngwenya and we have a great time. I have enjoyed rooming with someone other than the people I live with because it gives me a chance to get to know them better. At home in Houston I live with Mike Chabala and Patrick Ianni and we have become close friends. Pat and I are actually together with the USA U23 team in China and it really helps having close friends on these trips especially.

Stefanie: I know you're headed to China to get ready for the Olympic qualifiers. I've always wondered how much down time you guys get while you're away at tournaments and friendlies? Is there anything you're personally looking forward to doing while you're in China (will you guys get to see the Great Wall haha)? Do you know who your roommate will be over there?

Stuart: I am actually writing to you from the hotel in China and the experience so far has been out of this world. The 15 hour flight was draining, but the hotel has more than made up for it. We are stationed in Changsha in a 5 star hotel with staff that are constantly helping us with anything. We dont usually get too much downtime on these trips, because at the end of the day we are here on business and to help prepare for Olympic Qualifying in March. I think later in the week we are going to have an afternoon or two to try and see some sights around here, which I am definately looking forward to.

Stefanie: How does the coaching style of Peter Nowak compare with Dominic Kinnear?

Stuart: Coach Nowak is very focused on the job at hand, which is to help the team prepare for qualifying and then competing in the Olympics in Beijing. His style differs slightly to that of Coach Kinnear, but both are very knowledgeable and passionate coaches. I relish the opportunity to work with both Coaches and learn from them to help develop as a player.

2 comments:

Simon Provan said...

Stefani,

Just came across this interview. I write for Kick-Off out of Houston and would like to use some of this for my article on Holden and Ianni. Would I have your permission to do so?

And if I may say so, I'm sorry to hear MLS is no longer getting coverage in the Daily Texan. While I was going to UT, I was the weekly MLS/International Soccer beat writer. If you go to dailytexanonline.com and type "Simon Provan" in the search engine, you'll find about 50 articles on MLS and other non-UT soccer that I wrote between 2005 and Spring 2007.

Feel free to e-mail me if you like - simon.provan@uwc.edu

Anonymous said...

Stefanie,

My editor just got the Kickoff Soccer Magazine website up and running. As such, you can check out the article I wrote on Ianni and Holden which uses some of the quotes from this interview. I was sure to give you credit at the bottom of the article. And so you know, this was written awhile ago. :) Here's the link:

http://www.kickoffsoccermag.com/News/PageStyle1.aspx?Issue=8&Page=5

Thanks again!

Simon