Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Braving the Christmas Crowds

Holiday shopping usually makes me want to put my own eye out with a candy cane, but I was pleasantly surprised by my shopping experience today.

My mission: find gifts for my aunt and uncle, my grandmother, and my other aunt and uncle.
The place: La Frontera in Round Rock
The time: middle of the afternoon... a.k.a. the worst time to shop.

My mom, my sister and I all headed out to H.E.B. first to take a look at their ever-so-popular holiday food baskets. That was a bust. Everything was spectacularly overpriced compared to last year. We still liked the idea of food baskets for the family (they love 'em), but we figured we'd explore a little further down the road at La Frontera to check out whether or not there was something better.

At La Frontera, we immediately headed to World Market, which happens to be one of my absolute favorite stores. However, the three of us were a little nervous about heading into the holiday shopping crowds without knowing exactly what we were looking for. World Market surprised us in the best way possible.

Upon entering the store, two employees cheerfully greeted us. Immediately, we spotted a table off to our right that was stacked with holiday specials. Shiny ceramic mugs, pasta gift bags, Asian cookware, and all the trimmings for the everyday griller. Perfect. My Uncle Steve and Aunt Brenda love to grill (and we love to eat whatever they barbecue). We decided on a gift pack of different grilling spices, rubs and sauces for them. My Aunt Gwen and Uncle Ken are healthy eaters and love Mediterranean food. We got them the pasta gift pack, complete with oils and sauces.

The only negative experience I had at World Market followed my sampling of a red apple caramel candy. The sourness of the apple mixed with the caramel did NOT make for a good combination. That was quite possibly the worst thing I have ever tasted.

After a speedy checkout at World Market, we headed over to a little country store here in town and quickly found the softest white sweater ever created. Perfect for Grandma.

Mission accomplished.

No comments: