Sunday, December 2, 2007

Not making it work

This season of "Project Runway" is a bit lackluster compared to seasons past, in my opinion. None of the designers truly stand out in their clothing designing abilities. Granted, some of the men and women on the show have made some clean, wearable dresses and womenswear, but everything is forgettable.

Well, everything except for the horrendous menswear some of the designers threw together for celebrity guest Tiki Barber. I realize that most of them have never designed menswear, and designing a men's button-down shirt might be vastly different than designing a women's button-down for all I know, but they were better off sending down a smock than some of the pieces that went down the runway. Inadvertent three-quarter sleeves on shirts and circulation-stopping crotches on pants are completely unacceptable. And don't even get me started on the sloppy collars. Some of these designers should really be ashamed of themselves, especially if they didn't bother putting a shirt on a model at all (and yes, this really did happen).

It's time for Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum to light a fire under these guys. I want something to wow me. I suppose I could lighten up; after all, it is just fashion (thanks to Andre and Santino from two seasons ago for that little saying), but it's time for the designers to bring their A-game.

No comments: