Monday, September 10, 2007

Not half bad...

I must say I was disappointed to see that Saradora's, Round Rock's adorable little coffeehouse, was closing its doors. I wondered what new business would be taking its place, where I frequently enjoyed the best Italian sodas I've ever tasted, but I didn't have to wait long before a new buyer moved in. I drove past the location (on the corner of Main Street and Mays) on a daily basis so I watched the transformation from coffeehouse to... live music venue/bar? In Round Rock?! Instantly, I decided I wouldn't ever vist this place... this eyesore in the heart of my little town (that's actually not so little anymore).

After the doors opened at The Rock Room (which I refused to call by its name... it was "Saradora's Sad Replacement" for weeks), I expected nothing but lame musicians and average bar-goers to flood it. Almost every night, I sat in my car at the light on that corner with my windows down, begging the light to turn green so I wouldn't have to hear the music spilling out of the bar. And every night this happened, I found myself liking (*ugh*) not only the music more and more, but the varieties it came in.

So... four weeks ago, for reasons unknown, I decided to give this place a chance. My friend and I ventured in on a Thursday night, which happened to be karaoke night. I admire the gutsy people who get up to belt out a song, but I have never gathered the courage to do so myself. Instead, we explored the beer menu, which wasn't very big, and they only serve beer and wine. No liquor. Definitely my kind of place. It was actually very clean and comfortable: polished hardwood floors, tables as well as stools at the bartop, and plush, over-stuffed couches in the back room.

Ever since our first trip, we've made it a point to go on Thursdays (8:00-midnight) for karaoke. Shockingly enough, I found the courage to sing last week. Me? The wallflower? Actually sing? I'm pretty sure they wanted an encore, but I just gave 'em a little taste. Everyone- customers, karaoke staff, and bartenders- is always genuinely nice, which is a different world compared to Sixth Street (although I am a fan of the downtown scene all the same). Now more often than not when I drive by, it fills up more and more with people. The Rock Room is quickly becoming the place to be in Round Rock, and I can't say I hate it.

No comments: