Monday, September 10, 2012

Update

Now that the new semester has been underway for a few weeks, I think I've finally found some time to blog. And by "finally found some time," I mean that I should be grading things, but I don't want to, so here I am. Where to begin?

This summer was a tough one. It seems I lost a couple friends at the end of last semester over what I think is a huge misunderstanding. I know this isn't terribly specific, but basically they think that something happened a certain way, when it didn't happen that way at all. Instead of talking to me about it, they've just decided to avoid me, talk about the situation to seemingly anyone but me (despite my efforts to talk to them), and sulk in my presence when I happen to be around. Frustrating.

I lost a couple other friends for other reasons. Again, no talking. Just disappearing.

The disappearing act is a pattern in my life that I don't understand & gives me a lot of anxiety. I get that people change--I have friends that I'm not nearly as close with anymore, but even though we've casually drifted apart, there are times when one of us will say hi on facebook/text/something and things are still amicable. What I don't get is when it's so abrupt & I don't see it coming. One day you're answering my phone calls, the next day, you're not (and for many more days after that). When people disappear on me, I worry about what I did, if they're okay, if it's temporary (most of the time, I know it's for good because of history), etc. It's a terrible feeling, and because it's happened so many times throughout my life, I (almost) constantly worry which relationship of mine is going to abruptly fall apart. In every one of these scenarios, I wish that I could forget about the other person and not worry about him/her as easily as that person decided not to worry about me anymore. But I don't. There are people that haven't spoken to me in years that I still think about. Sometimes I can fool myself into creating my own closure, but every now and then, even that doesn't work.


In other news, my sister is getting married in less than a month. Pretty excited about the wedding, but even more excited about gaining a brother-in-law.

I'm finally teaching a writing workshop class. I love my students so much & the debates they get in over the readings. It. is. awesome.

I moved to a new apartment. Unfortunately, the unpacking process is going so much slower than it was getting in here, mainly because I started school two days after I moved in here. I unpack a little, then I grade a little, then I read a little, then I write a little, etc. So there's that.

I'm applying to PhD programs this semester. And writing my thesis. I wish my sister's wedding was in the Spring for those two reasons alone.

My preschoolers graduated to kindergarten this year. They're still precious, of course, but they don't call "Pop Tarts" Hop Tarts anymore and they know they went to preschool and not pretty-school :(

Until next time...



No comments: