Sunday, April 26, 2009

Scale from the Future

I've been working out pretty hard the last two weeks and I decided that I wanted to track my progress. Granted, I didn't want to start tracking my progress NOW because that would include weighing myself NOW, which is something I haven't done in quite a while. I didn't want to know my weight at all, but I knew I had to learn eventually.

Anyway, I had a little extra cash so I went to the store to get this fancy-schmancy scale that's made by "The Biggest Loser" people-- it tracks your body fat percentage, water percentage, weight, BMI, muscle percentage and...uhh... a couple other things that I forgot. You can put in your age, height, gender, etc. and it stores your personal information. It does this for up to five people. Pretty cool, eh?

Well, I wanted to get everything just right so I read the manual front to back (my Tech & Business Writing teacher would be SO proud) then I went about storing everyone's information in the scale. Then I read an alarming little tidbit on one of the last pages of the manual. It said that I "must remove shoes" before stepping on the scale because in order to get readings for all the extra stuff (other than just weight), it sends AN ELECTRIC CURRENT through your body to get the reading.

Oh-em-eff-gee.

An electric current?! A few lines later, the manual claimed this current was completely harmless, but in the same line, it said that if you have a pacemaker "DO NOT USE THIS SCALE." Needless to say, my heart was pounding so hard the first time I stepped on the scale that I probably was very close to getting my own pacemaker.

They were right (thankfully). I didn't feel a thing. However, the pain-free current was not the only thing my heart was pounding about-- I was worried to finally see what my weight is at. It was worse than I thought :( But on the upside, my muscle percentage was in very good shape so maybe the weight number isn't THAT bad. Still... I have a long way to go.

No comments: