Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Bringing Out the Animal in You

Throngs of people stood outside Austin's newest, most exclusive club on Saturday night: Pangaea. Everyone was pleading with the bouncers to let them in. Some were shouting. Some looked on the verge of tears. Nobody was getting behind that velvet rope, but I was determined.

I asked a girl in front of me if she was in line.

"Technically, yes, but they're not letting anyone in unless you've got connections."

Damn. No connections here. I had just come from a very ritzy engagement party in Austin's hill country so I was dressed to the nines. It was my turn at the rope.

"Can I get in? Please?" I asked the intimidating bouncer. He looked down at me and smiled.

"Sure," he said, pulling back the velvet rope to let me through. Score!

Instantly, the crowd was hurling questions at me.

"What did you say to get in?!"
"Why'd they let YOU in?!"
"Who ARE you?!"

I have no idea why he let me in. Maybe the "please" did the trick. No clue, but I didn't care.

Inside the faux-tent of Pangaea, everything was dimly lit. Raw woodwork and animal skulls ornamented the walls. Bamboo everywhere. I felt like I was camping at a chic Safari party on a warm night.

The clientele was very nice and in high spirits. Nearly everyone was dancing. Heading to the back bar, I noticed there were people three and four deep, but I made it to the front rather quickly. This bartender was on top of his game. All I got was two beers. The price? Eleven bucks. Good God.

Still in a good mood, I got up on a platform (which was actually the back of a couch that four people were already dancing on) and joined the party. Looking out at the crowd, it was like looking at one giant, throbbing mass pulsing to the beat of the music. The energy was palpable.

Upon my exit, a random stranger grabbed my friend to lay a wet one on her. Very unexpected. Perhaps the Safari party was bringing out the beast in him. It wasn't so bad... I guess.

Expensive drinks won't keep me from coming back to this place, but perhaps the bouncers will. Who knows if I'll get that lucky again?


Pangaea Austin
409 Colorado Street

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the owner of MAS Security Agency who does the security for Pangaea, I can assure you my staff will make sure you are in again....;)glad you had a good time and hope to meet you soon.
Scott