Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ode to Pete

I cannot believe that through all the times I’ve been downtown, I’ve never been to Pete’s Piano Bar. Well, until last weekend, I had never been. Let me just say that after spending my entire Saturday night there, I will definitely go back (and I think I can honestly say that it was one of the best nights out I’ve ever had in downtown Austin).

Most of the crowd that populated the barroom was in the 25-45 year range, which is a breath of fresh air from the 18-21 year-olds running around 6th street. Everyone was in high spirits, singing along to each song that the two dueling pianists played. The two guys behind each piano were young (probably mid to late twenties) and easily got the crowd involved in the piano jams. For those of you who haven’t been to a dueling piano bar, here’s the concept:

People write their song requests on cocktail napkins, wrap the napkins around some money (I’d say the average is probably five to seven bucks) and go up to the stage and place it on the piano. The two pianists have fish bowls overflowing with cash, but it is all well deserved. Some people give them up to twenty bucks to hear a song, in which case, they immediately bump it up to the next song on the playlist and announce rather loudly (and very gratefully) that they received such a generous tip. These guys know just about every song imaginable and it’s safe to say that they definitely do each song justice.

Occasionally they bring people from the surrounding tables up to the stage to sit on the piano as they serenade the bar goer. Saturday night, they brought a bride-to-be up to the stage, along with all of her bridesmaids and members of the bachelorette party, and they all visibly had a great time singing (or rather, shouting) to Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock and Roll.”

The bartenders hustle to make drinks for patrons (and they’re more than willing to make any and everything) and do so with a smile. The bar itself is a little run down and has a saloon-like feel to it, which adds to the nostalgia. Tables fill up rather quickly, but there is an upstairs bar area that looks down over the two grand pianos. It’s easy to meet people in this place, as everyone is in a good mood and often compliment each other's song choices.

Pete’s Piano Bar is a guaranteed good time for all.

Now open on Mondays
421 East 6th Street
Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 472-PETE (7383)
Fax: (512) 472-7390
Mon-Sat, 6:30 pm-2:00 am
Showtime at 8:00
Manager - Tim Lopinto
www.petesduelingpianobar.com

1 comment:

Karina Reyes said...

Oh, how this makes me anticipate even more the 21st birthday. Two months and I'll be sure to check this place out!